December 21 – Future Self. Imagine yourself five years from now. What advice would you give your current self for the year ahead? (Bonus: Write a note to yourself 10 years ago. What would you tell your younger self?)
Words to my current self, from the future… nothing too profound:
1. Keep walking each day. You’re establishing some patterns that’ll make life easier for me.
2. Today is their childhood.
3. Keep writing. It keeps you sane.
4. ”Don’t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.” -Howard Thurman
5. ”I can’t give you a formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody.” Herbert Bayard Swope
6. Say no to more stuff.
7. But stay in touch with your family and friends. And keep up the date nights.
In terms of the bonus, I don’t resonate with assignments to look back and offer advice. I do wish that we had traveled more before we had kids, and I honestly don’t know what we did with our time. I’m not saying that in the sense of realizing our time was spent on trivial matters—I’m saying I really don’t remember! But other than that… I don’t look back in quite that “I wish I had known” way.