Welcome to the Blue Room! (Why “the blue room?” Here’s a post explaining the name’s origins.)
I’m a writer, spouse, mother of three, and haphazard knitter. I am a Presbyterian pastor whose spiritual inner child is secretly Quaker. (I guess the secret’s out.) I believe in the expansive love of God that knows no bounds.
I live in the leafy suburbs of Washington DC but love the energy and noisy chaos of the city. I am what some call bi-vocational: I serve part-time as pastor of Idylwood Presbyterian Church in Falls Church, VA while pursuing a variety of writing projects, including a book, Sabbath in the Suburbs, released in 2012 by Chalice Press. I am also co-chair of NEXT Church, a movement within the Presbyterian Church (USA) that’s calling forth vital ministry for our changing cultural context.
I’d love to lead a retreat or workshop or keynote your conference. Here are just a few of the topics I’ve covered recently:
- Sabbath in the Suburbs… and Beyond: Finding Rest, Play, Renewal and Delight
- The Improvising God: God’s Work in an Imperfect World
- Spirituality in the Smartphone Age
- Agile Church: Rethinking Congregational Structures
- Leadership and Transformation in the “Church That Is Becoming”
And finally, the fine print: The opinions expressed on this blog are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of Idylwood Presbyterian Church or the Presbyterian Church (USA).